Claire Hall, 2015
Acrylic paint on wood panel
This mural was a collaboration of ideas between the artist and the Friends of Freeman Station. The extensive knowledge of the committee members was combined with the artist’s creative vision. The team decided that the ideal goal would be to allow the viewer to see what the station would have looked like when it was first opened in 1906. The mural's current location was originally an open portico when the station was first built. It was used as a passenger platform before it was eventually enclosed to act as an extra baggage room. Several photos taken of Freeman Station during its early years of operation, with characters in period dress, were combined to come up with the final design of the mural.
The Local Artist Program is designed to tell local stories using local artists. The 2015 program commissioned six small to medium-scale murals throughout the city. These commissions were open exclusively to Burlington artists. Free professional development opportunities were offered to assist artists with the application process and project development.
For more information about the City of Burlington's Public Art program, visit www.burlingtonpublicart.com