Hannah Sell and Liam Racine, 2015
Watercolour, digital reproduction on vinyl
These two murals were inspired by the Port Nelson’s historical importance. The small community of Port Nelson was part of the "Brant Block," which was deeded to Chief Joseph Brant in 1798. James Gage, the founder of Burlington, bought land from the heirs of Chief Joseph Brant and developed Port Nelson and Wellington Square. Produce from the surrounding farms was shipped out on the bustling docks of the lakeside villages of Port Nelson and Wellington Square. Roses have been incorporated into the design to represent love, friendship, passion and community.
The Local Artist Program is designed to tell local stories using local artists. The 2015 program commissioned six small to medium-scale murals throughout the city. These commissions were open exclusively to Burlington artists. Free professional development opportunities were offered to assist artists with the application process and project development.
For more information about the City of Burlington's Public Art program, visit www.burlingtonpublicart.com